Wednesday, March 26, 2008

"Billie Jean" is cool again?

Ben Lockridge
blockridge@themeridianstar.com

So, I found myself watching another dismal "American Idol" last night; and just as I was about to let the sleepiness set in, I hear some lyrics that seemed very familiar to me.

I'll admit it; I was floored by David Cook's "Billie Jean" cover. To me that one performance should have earned him the title last night.

Now about the cover. If you were like me, and had never heard that version, and just assumed that David whipped it up just for the competition; then you may be surprised to learn that the arrangement was actually Chris Cornell's work.

Oh, and on another note, did anyone see Paula's arms as she was praising David? Go back and look on your DVR's. (If you're blessed to have one.) I couldn't understand why she would do this to her arms. I mean it hurts to turn your arms around like that. She looked like an intoxicated seal.

Anyway, that's all I have for now.

1 comment:

galileo said...

Even though I was borderline obsessed with Soundgarden when I was in high school, and even though I still think Chris Cornell has an amazing voice, I thought his version of Billie Jean was awful! No offense, Ben.

I think it's good for musicians to change the songs that they cover - because what's the point of doing a cover song if you're going to do it exactly the same way as the original? But I think Chris Cornell and Billie Jean are just a bad match...

I didn't hear the American Idol version of Chris Cornell's version of Billie Jean, so I'll give in the benefit of the doubt and assume it was better...