Monday, March 10, 2008

Pollen and politics ...

By Fredie Carmichael
Editor@themeridianstar.com


First off, welcome to our new blog — The Star Blog. We tried, without much success, to maintain a blog on our site in 2007. The problem: our software was inconsistent and not very user friendly. It quickly became a headache as opposed to what it should have been — fun.
After some debate, we settled on this as our new method of delivery. We hope you enjoy. Jennifer Jacob, our government reporter, got things started last week with her coverage of Hillary Clinton in Canton. Our goal by April: to have The Star Blog updated daily by a staffer, with each staffer contributing at least three posts a day. Aside from just news, we hope to incorporate our personalities (as scary as that is to even think about). We hope you get to know us in some small way (again, scary).
We also want you to get involved with us as we blog, comment on what we write. I will be asking members of our staff to write about anything and everything, with local topics being of greatest importance. One day they may write about something they read, watched or listened to ... the next they may write about a new restaurant they ate at (btw, the Chili House just opened next door to us), or a cool Web site they found.
So, please enjoy and, more importantly, participate.
Now, onto my first post:


Pollen and politics

Be sure and wash those hands tomorrow ...
What do sneezing and Election Day have in common? Lots of potential germs this time of year. As Election Day draws near (my head's still dizzy over the seven candidates on the GOP side of the Third Congressional District race), people will be sneezing and shaking hands all in the same day. The reason: tomorrow is not only an election, it's also likely to be bad for pollen. You may have noticed the yellow film on your car this morning. I noticed as soon as I woke up this morning and started sneezing when I walked my dog. I realized allergy season is here.
Ahh cheww!!!! Sorry, need to wash my hands now ...
Did I mention this blog would also be a good place to find lame jokes?

5 comments:

thesouthernpharmacist said...

Everyone vote!

I voted last month over here in Alabama. You guys could have the make or break votes for one of the Democrats. And, if you tend to vote Republican, as I do, go vote anyway, even if the candidate is "decided". Cast a protest vote for someone else like I did.

My wife and I are moving down to Meridian in June. Anyone have a FSBO house for sale or suggestions on nice places to live?

WeatherWorks by Joe said...

Talk to Blake(high school) about where to live...he may have some suggestions.

thesouthernpharmacist said...

hey unimp,
Who is blake? I know the Showcase of Homes magazine is done by Blake Publishing. Is this the same person?

thesouthernpharmacist said...

Blake from Sumter Academy?

WeatherWorks by Joe said...

yea