Wednesday, March 19, 2008

Old dog and new tricks!

Ok, I like Ida Brown have been intimidated to start this blogging thing....I am an old dog trying to learn new tricks. Soooo....bear with me while I explore this new sensation for me. I have struggled with something to actually write about since what I do is a little bit of this and a whole lot of that here at the paper. So, I just decided to write kind of from my heart and myself, so that people can hopefully know and understand where I come from. I started here at the paper almost 7 years ago after having been an RN for many years. I got totally burned out in nursing and so the offer was made and I started a new career. I work hard and try to do what I do at the paper to my best ability. Of course I am human and I do make mistakes and typos in the obits, weddings, engagements, baby announcements and so many other things that I type everyday. I just wish that I could do it all correctly, and for those of you who know me, know that spelling and correct grammar are my "little thing". It was very hard for me to "get" newspaper styling and English grammar are not the same. I studied hard and worked on it with a style book at night and keep "cheat sheets" in my desk drawer. So maybe some in the coming posts, I can try to explain the differences, especially in the obits and engagements and weddings. But I hope that I can think of other things and interesting facts about myself and the newspaper that you might not know. So be patient with this " mama of the newsroom." Stephanie Denham, sdenham@themeridianstar.com

No comments: